Friday, July 13, 2012

The Craft of Gardening

It's been extremely dry here in the Midwest, so I've been watering quite a bit resulting in lots of thinking time.

My thoughts this week...what is the difference between design and craft?  Is there a difference?  I design gardens...look at the problems and opportunities, then create a plan on paper.  I also design with my hands by installing plants, moving them, watering them, pruning them...to create something beautiful.  Isn't that craft too?  Though we discuss gardening as art and design, it's also a craft...at least for those willing to get a little dirty.


{...and yes, I do wear skirts while watering, it's just more comfy}

2 comments:

  1. I'm with you on the skirt for gardening. I've been thinking a gardening apron is in order. Something long enough to cover my knees when I kneel and that could double as a basket for harvesting!

    ReplyDelete